Dr. Jyoti Bose (FRSA)
M.A. (Soc. of Edu.), B.Ed., M. Phil and Ph.D
Dr. Jyoti Bose, a well known educationist who has looked upon Education as a medium for social change and societal reforms. Dr. Jyoti Bose has worked in the field of Education, Literacy and Peace Education for over twenty nine years. She is the Director of the Springdales Schools and the Principal of Springdales School, Dhaula Kuan. The school is ranked as one of the most respected and amongst the top ten in the country.
Dr. Jyoti Bose was conferred with an Honorary Doctorate from the U.K. for her contribution to Education and Peace Studies in 2005. Her contribution to National and International Understanding through school education is commendable.
A brief summary of Dr. Jyoti Bose's contribution in various fields of Education and Literacy are given hereunder :
(a) WORK FOR LITERACY IN DELHI STATE :
During her career, her contribution to Literacy in Delhi State began in 1988 when she became a founder member of the Delhi Schools' Literacy Project, an organization that worked closely with the National Literacy Mission of the Govt. of India. Under the "Each one Teach one" programme in the schools of Delhi, nearly 5000 children and adults are made literate each year and one hundred Delhi Schools have already joined the Literacy movement since then. The Rajeev Gandhi Foundation has kindly sponsored a Literacy Van for neo-literates in the slums of Delhi.
(b) WORK FOR NATIONAL INTEGRATION AND COMMUNAL HARMONY :
In the field of National Integration, for the last 5 years, Dr. Bose has been the Managing Trustee of the Sarvodaya International Trust (New Delhi Chapter) an organization working to promote communal harmony through the ideals of Gandhiji. Working closely with Gandhi Smriti, Jamia Milia Islamia, the National Archives of India, she has organized and brought together children of Delhi schools including Sarvodaya and Kendriya Vidyalayas to pay homage to the Mahatma at meaningful functions on National Integration and Non-violence in Delhi.
(c) Dr. Bose worked with the Guild of Service under Dr. Mohini Giri, Chairperson for "Mainstreaming Kashmir through children" and in a programme "Bridges of Friendship", the children of orphanages in Srinagar and DRAS were hosted with families from amongst school children of Springdales..
(d) She has initiated a Rural-Urban Exchange Programme involving students and staff in the village school SHREYAS, in Dewas village in Madhya Pradesh. This programme has been ongoing for a number of years.
(e) The school was an active participant in the late Mr. Sunil Dutt's organization "Sadhbhavna Ke Sipahi", an organization promoting Communal Harmony.
(f) Dr. Bose works extensively to put into practice the ideals and goals of the Constitution of India. She participated in the Rajeev Gandhi Foundation Round Table "Architecture of an Inclusive Society" and presented a paper on education which was published on the book of the same title.
WORK FOR INCLUSIVITY IN EDUCATION :
WORK FOR INTERNATIONAL UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE :
- Springdales School has a Culture of Inclusivity in its ethos and vision. In her work for Economically Disadvantaged children, even before the Right to Education Act 2006, Dr. Bose had set up a Scholarship Scheme for Underprivileged children from her school's immediate slum, namely Shriram J.J. Cluster. At present, every year more than twenty five percent of the students belonging to Economically Weaker Sections are enrolled at for whom successful programmes of integration are implemented.
- Similarly, Children with Special Needs are educated at a centre "Saath-Saath" which was started eight years ago. They are integrated into mainstream education with the help of three Special Educators and Mentor students from classes XI and XII.
- Foreign students are also enrolled in the school and their cultural identities are brought alive through Children's International Festivals and National Days. The students have included those from Cuba, Palestine and South Africa.
WORK FOR DIVERSITY AND PEACE EDUCATION :
- Springdales is well known UNESCO School that also works with the UNDP and UNICEF in its school projects. Recipient of the UNESCO Schools Award for Excellence in International Understanding.
- Springdales is the first school in the country to form an Africa Club to support the Anti-Apartheid movement in South Africa. Worked actively with Mr. Anand Sharma and the Youth Congress for many events and functions in the capital under "Youth Action against Apartheid" in the 1970's.
In recognition of its contribution to the South African struggle, the school was invited to South Africa in 1994 by then President Mandela and children were given a standing ovation in Parliament. The school's work in support of the Liberation Struggle is displayed in the Robben Island Museum to this day. School delegates were invited in 2003 on the 10th Anniversary of the Diplomatic ties between India and South Africa. They visited schools in Limpopo, Johannesburg and Capetown. In 2006, Dr. Bose was invited to South Africa to witness the 50th Anniversary of the Historic March of Women to Pretoria. In 2012, Dr. Bose was also invited by the South African Government to witness the celebrations for the 100th Anniversary of the African National Congress.
- Dr. Bose has worked extensively for Global Exchange Partnerships between countries of the world with the British Council in India and U.K. Springdales was the first school in the country to receive the International School Award, which was presented at the school premises by Mr. David Miliband, the then Minister for Educational Standards, U.K. The British Council also awarded the school "An Ambassador School Award" last year. She also had the privilege to be in invited to meet Prince Charles on his visit to India.
- In 2007, Dr. Bose signed a "Heart-to-Heart Agreement" with the Ministry of Education in Beijing. The agreement was to consolidate Exchange programmes with the Experimental Schools in China. This agreement is in practice for 5 years.
- In 2009, initiated Exchange programmes with Germany and Egypt.
- The schools has links with twenty-three countries under Curriculum Projects, Unesco Clubs, Schools Cluster programmes - Japan, South Korea, Australia, Singapore, Pakistan, Greece, Bhutan, United States, Spain, France to name a few.
AWARDS AND HONOURS RECEIVED :
- In 2012, Dr. Bose initiated the first of its kind Diversity Summit for Student Leaders from schools of Delhi in order to empower them to understand how to address issues of Diversity in the School Community. This two-day Summit was inaugurated by the Hon'ble Minister for Law, Justice and Minority Affairs, Mr. Salman Khurshid and was an attempt at bringing forth Unity through Diversity.
- Peace Education forms an integral part of the School Curriculum at all levels from Primary to Senior Secondary. Together with the CNDP each year the school participates in Peace Festivals, Seminars and Symposiums.
(1) "The National Award for Teachers 2000" by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India.
(2) "The State Teachers Award 2000" by the Govt. of NCT of Delhi.
(3) "The Radhakrishnan Memorial National Teachers Award" in September, 2000.
(4) "The Green Educator Award" by the World Environment Congress in December, 1999.
(5) "The Shiksha Rattan and Gold Medal" by the Institute of Economic Studies in April, 1999.
(6) "The National Excellence Award in Education" by the All India National Unity Conference in May, 1999.
(7) "The Rashtriya Gaurav Award" by the International Friendship Society for contribution to National progress in 2000.
(8) "The India Millennium Award" by the International Association of Educators for World Peace in 2001.
(9) "The International School Award" by Mr. David Miliband, Minister of State for School Standards, U.K. in 2004.
(10) In 2005, Honorary Doctorate conferred by London Metropolitan University, U.K.
(11) Was also accorded the honour of being invited as the only Educationist from Delhi to meet Prince Charles on his tour of India in 2004, to meet with citizens of Delhi from chosen fields.
(12) In 2012, "The Golden Achievement Award" for Education by Indo-Thai Summit in Thailand.